Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Appreciating creativity

In my (humble) opinion, I think one of the most important things a writer can do is appreciate creativity in others, possibly even be inspired by it.

Last night, I covered the annual Christmas parade. It was your usual small-town fare, with tons of laughing kids, bemused parents and loud music. I was mostly interested in "man on the street" interviews, so I was up and down the parade route most of the night, barely paying attention to the floats.

Until the very last one.

Home Depot's float was a full-sized replica of the Polar Express engine and one car. They even had the hobo (can't remember his name) on top and the kid (whose name I also can't remember) sitting with him. There was a conductor, and music from the movie, and wowza. I was impressed. I stopped and gaped at the float like a catfish.

I finished my business and got home around 9 p.m. I was stoked about writing - something about seeing something right out of one of my favorite holiday movies (tied with A Christmas Story) right in front of me made me want to sit down and WRITE.

...and so I fell asleep at my laptop. Cade caught me before I could drool on it or drop it off my lap and sent me to bed.

So much for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment